An Open Competition to Design a Memorial within
the National AIDS Memorial Grove
and Designs of Note Announced in National AIDS Memorial Design
After two days of judging hundreds of moving, thought-provoking
entries from around the globe, the National AIDS Memorial Design
Competition jury selected five finalists and seven entries of
note. Thank you to all who took the time to participate in this
competition and to do the important work of contemplating how
to memorialize one of the greatest pandemics of all time.
- Raveevarn Choksombatchai of VEEV Design, Jacob Atherton, Michael
Eggers and Andrew Shanken, San Francisco, CA
- Melissa Cate Christ, Toronto, Ontario
- Janette Kim and Chloe Town, New York City, NY
- Andrew Thurlow and Maia Small, TSA, Pawtucket, RI
- Shinya Uehara and Chantelle Brewer, UB Team, Chicago, IL
Designs of Note:
- Salvador Pérez Arroyo, Estudio Salvador Pérez
Arroyo, Madrid, Spain
- Joseph Barajas, Michael Boone, Patrick Flynn, Daniel Robb,
California College of the Arts/Architecture, San Francisco,
- Johannes Feder, Principals: Barbara Wilkes and Alex Washburn,
W Architecture & Landscape Architecture, New York City,
- Max Gunawan, McCall Design Group, San Francisco, CA
- Kohei Kashimoto and Mari Matsumoto, Kohei Kashimoto Design
Studio, Osaka, Japan
- Joe Macdonald, Principal; Todd Richard, Christian Werthmann,
Jason Halaby, Urban A+O, Cambridge, MA
- Keith Mitnick, Mireille Roddier, Stewart Hicks, University
of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
To review a copy of the press release, click here.
To read today's article about the competition in the San Francisco
Chronicle, click here.
About the Grove and the Design Competition
The National AIDS Memorial Grove is a seven-acre dell in Golden
Gate Park, San Francisco, California, a living tribute to all
whose lives have been touched by AIDS. It is the only federally
designated AIDS Memorial in the United States.
The Grove is a place where people gather to heal, hope, and remember.
The goal of this competition is to identify an outstanding artistic
complement to the Grove's award-winning landscape, an icon that
will deepen, both visually and spiritually, the visitor's experience
of this important environment. The winning design will be inherently
egalitarian, expressing the cross-cultural and global impact of
the AIDS pandemic, while honoring those who have died and those
who have shared their struggle.
Honorary Committee (partial list)
Co-chairs: Judith Light and Barbra Streisand
Aaron and Chrissy Brody, Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen, US Senator
Dianne Feinstein, Stanlee Gatti, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, Bill
T. Jones, Jack Lenor Larsen, Norman and Lyn Lear, California Assemblyman
Mark Leno, Armistead Maupin, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom,
US Congressperson Nancy Pelosi, David Rockwell, Sharon Stone and
Co-chairs: Ken Ruebush and Thom Weyand
Stephen Arnn, Margarita Gandia, Gary Hutton, Ayse Manyas Kenmore,
Paul Loeffler, Marsha Raulston, Neal Schwartz, Jeff Wiggins.