Recognizing that the Grove is primarily a space for individual or small-group reflection and contemplation, the following activities are encouraged nevertheless:
- Memorial services
- Picnics and other similar gatherings (Click here to see photos from recent ‘French Picnic in the Grove’)
- Weddings, commitment ceremonies, other family celebrations and life events/rites of passage
- Use by organizations for lectures, music, dance, poetry, and spiritual gathering.
Site Use Requests
Each specific event/use of the Grove requires permission. Pre-approval of the date and type of activity from the Grove offices is required. In order to keep the Grove available to the general public, it is desirable/preferable to limit particular usage to three hours or less.
Individuals or groups may reserve the Grove for any of the above-listed activities by sending an email to Matt Kennedy at: email@example.com, or by calling 415-765-0446. A Site Use Application must be completed and submitted before any request will be confirmed. Download our Site Use Application by clicking here [PDF]. Applications may be sent to the Grove’s offices at: 870 Market Street, Suite 965, San Francisco, CA 94102, by fax at 415-707-6150, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grove Site Use Fees
With the exception of memorial services, the following standard fees are for Grove Site Use:
$500 (Up to 50 Guests); $750 (51–75 Guests); $1,000 (76–100 Guests); $1,500 (101–150 Guests); $2,000 (151–200 Guests)
- For small picnics or similar Site Use: Call 415-765-0446
There is no permit required or fee charged for small memorial services. Larger groups and other special requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The Grove does, however, accept donations for such Site Use.
Summary of Grove-Use guidelines
Food, catered or otherwise, is allowed, except for barbecues (the park has other designated areas for barbecues).
- Beverages, including alcohol, are allowed (the park permits alcohol consumption, unless the situation becomes unruly or involves minors; guidelines are covered in the permit process).
- Sound and music are allowed within a certain amplified range (detailed in Recreation & Park policy on amplified sound, covered in the permit process).
- Candles and fire are not allowed, unless approved by the NAMG and Recreation & Park (see Recreation and Park policy and permit process). Additional permission must be obtained (and extra fees incurred) through the San Francisco Fire & Police departments.
- Clean-up is the responsibility of the user party.
- All groups are asked to monitor noise levels and respect that others may need and want to use nearby areas of the Grove at the same time for more quiet reflection.
- Other variables will be considered upon receipt of written request to the NAMG office.
The Grove’s preferred vendors are listed below. The Grove prefer these vendors because of the consistent high quality of their services, and because they each have extensive experience working in the Grove, and are very aware of the dimensions of its driveways and entry points, its very fragile areas, and its limitations. You are not required to use the Grove’s preferred vendors, but it is strongly recommend that you consider it. The Grove can be tricky to navigate because of its narrow entry points, large boulders, hidden sprinkler heads, etc. These vendors know the grounds very well.
Party Equipment Rentals
For tents, furniture, linens, tableware, etc., the Grove prefers Carla Odenheim at Classic Party Rentals:
Carla Odenheim / Event Consultant
Classic Party Rental
1635 Rollins Rd, Ste A
Burlingame, CA 94010
office: 650-652-0400 x356 fax: 650-697-9090 mobile: 650-444-9570
For portable toilets, the Grove only uses Mike Banda at Golden State Portables: www.goldenstateportables.com
For catering, please call the Grove’s offices at 415-765-0446.